Dream Big And Put It Out There
I saw a message on twitter recently about a guy who is campaigning to have a ”Beer with Branson“. While some people may roll their eyes and think “ya, as if”, I think it’s great, admirable really.
“Bugsy” is obviously a big fan of Sir Richard Branson and has a dream to sit and chat and pick his brain for a while. You never know unless you try, right?
I have a few big dreams of my own. Until now I haven’t been particularly vocal about them. I suppose I had always worried about what people would think or what they would say. Then I come back to the saying that’s had the biggest impact on my life:
“You’d worry less about what people thought of you if you knew how little they did.”
So here are my big dreams. I’m just going to put them out there, continue to focus on the good and taking advantage of any opportunity that presents itself.
1. I will work with Leo from Zen Habits fame. - This one has actually happened. One day on the way home I said to Gwynn “one day I’ll work with Leo.” It’s true. A few months later there I was chatting with Leo on Skype. It was eerie (not the conversation with Leo) the fact that what I wanted actually came to be.
2. I will be interviewed by Oprah. Granted her show is ending in a year or so but I’m still putting it out there. Being able to pick her brain would be amazing. I would also love the opportunity to share my passion for deliberate, simple living with such a wonderful and large audience.
3. I will make a positive impact on people’s lives through what I say as well as what I do. From the feedback I’m getting, this is already happening as well. I find it hard to believe since I don’t feel I’ve given all that I’m capable of. So let’s just say you ain’t seen nothing yet.
4. I will be successful in earning a living from online ventures. This one is a bit tougher to get my head around. I’m not at all comfortable with marketing and sales pitches. And I’m equally uncomforted by the thought of coming across as desperate or only wanting to sell something. That’s really not who I am. So this is something I definitely need to work at and become comfortable doing if I’m to make a go of this one.
5. I will publish a book of practical and simple ways to take ownership and enjoy your life. Again, not something I have a lot of experience with. The largest writing project I’ve ever worked on was my doctoral thesis and once I submitted that I vowed never to write again … and yet here we are.
So those are five biggies that I’m willing to share today. I may regret doing this but I don’t think so. Maybe someone reading this will give me a chance or help me achieve one of these rather lofty dreams. As I said to Gwynn the other day “2010 is THE year. It just feels right. And NO opportunity will go unopportunized*.”
There are no time lines attached to any of these since there’s no telling when the opportunity will present itself. But I will achieve these things, one way or another, just as “Bugsy” will be sipping a pint with Sir Richard Branson some time this year.
What are your big dreams? Put it out there and see what happens … you never know who’s reading or listening!
*And yes I’m well aware that unopportunized is not even close to a word
What If You Could Do Anything?
How To Be The Person You Want To Be
How To Choose Goals And Ensure Success
Photo courtesy of: xtream_i