10 Ways To Feel Better in 60 Seconds Or Less
1. Sit up straight. Many people who spend a lot of time at the computer likely don’t sit properly. There’s a tendency to slouch, stoop and sit cross-legged. Is there a correct way to sit? You bet. Choose a comfy chair, preferably one with arm rests. Sit with your butt to the back of the seat, shoulders back and feet flat on the floor about hip distance apart. Maintaining good posture can help you avoid injury and promote proper bone alignment. When walking tall with good posture you both look and feel more confident, fit and pulled together.
2. Do something you love. Reduce stress by doing something you love. Read an article, flip through a magazine, call a friend, book a massage. It doesn’t matter what it is just make sure it’s something you enjoy and not something you feel you have to do.
3. Eat a piece of fruit. There’s something about biting into an apple, peeling a banana or the scent of an orange that just makes you feel good. Fruit is refreshing, good for you and something we typically don’t get enough of. Next time you go shopping load up on “grab and go” fruits. Fruits like apples, bananas and grapes, that don’t require any prep work. Although fresh is better dried can be a great alternative when you’re looking for something a bit different. Dried apricots are one of my favorites.
4. Laugh. Find a video of your favorite comedian or sitcom or maybe it’s a picture of a friend or your kids that always makes you laugh. Laughing feels good, it gets you smiling and it allows you to not take things so seriously, if only for that moment.
5. Drink. Water that is. Water is vital to our well-being and is another thing we typically don’t get enough of. Drinking a tall glass of water helps you feel fuller longer, curbs your desire to eat when you’re not particularly hungry just bored and it’s great for your skin. Add a twist of lemon or lime to add a bit of natural flavor.
6. Get outside. There is something about nature and the expanse of space that can rejuvenate the mind and body. Look around you and take it all in. The birds, the people, the blueness of the sky, the clouds floating along, the smell of the fresh air, the warmth of the sun on your cheeks. Take a minute to just stand outside where ever you are and just soak it all in.
7. Breathe. Deeply. Breathing can help you relax, focus and slow down. Breathing can help you put things in perspective release tension that builds up throughout the day. Take a minute and breathe deeply. Clear your mind and just breathe.
8. Give. It may seem counter intuitive but to feel better yourself, do something for someone else. It doesn’t have to be anything big, elaborate or a year in the planning it just has to be sincere. Ask your co-worker in the next cubical over if they would like a coffee, pay the toll for the person in the car behind you, hold the door for someone, give a hug, smile.
9. Beautify your surroundings. While you’re walking your dog, walking to your car, waiting for the bus or riding your bike take a moment and beautify where you are. Pick up a piece of garbage or 10 or 20, pull a weed or hammer in a nail. Every little bit helps but having the “I didn’t do it so I’m not picking it up” mind set doesn’t. Do your part and take pride in your neighborhood or work area.
10. Stretch. Sitting for too long can cause joint and muscle pain, headaches and other aches and pains. A few times throughout the day stand up stretch out your arms, your back, your legs, and your neck. Be gentle and don’t over do it. Stretching should feel great and renew your energy. If you’d love to but can never remember set up a reminder in your calendar or set a timer for an hour. You’ll be glad you did.
The World Around You Is An Amazing Place – Take Time To See It
Go Ahead Make Your Day: 50 Ways To Make Today Shine
Gratitude Journal: 30 Days To Happiness
10 Tips For A Successful Meditation
Photo courtesy of: Desirée Delgado