Have You Ever Seen A Dog Smile?
What can be learned from 8 legs, 4 eyes, and 2 tails? A lot! Let me introduce you to our 2 happy dogs – Holly on the left and Maddie on the right. Both are full blooded Aussies and are world travellers. From swimming in a warm ocean to rolling around in ice cold snow – these gals have done it all. They have quite the zest for life, they flaunt it daily and they have a lot to teach.
So what can we learn from them?
1. Do everything with enthusiasm. This goes for eating, playing, greeting people at the door, going up or down stairs, hopping into the car…really everything!
2. The world is your playground. There is no right or wrong place to have a good time. There is fun to be had no matter where you are! So run and play daily.
3. Don’t be afraid to get your hair wet. Ladies…right?
4. Never pretend to be something you’re not. They are dogs through and through. They will do anything for a kibble, bark at strangers and chew a piece of plastic (toy) for hours. They never waiver.
5. Be persistent. If you stare at someone long enough you’ll eventually get what you want.
6. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride. Stick your head out the window and feel the wind on your face. I never quite got this one though, if you blow gently on their face – HATE IT; head out the window at 65km/hr – LOVE IT! Still a mystery to me.
7. Friends aren’t that hard to find. You can make a friend anywhere by walking up to them and saying “hi”.
8. Keep your body healthy. Exercise every chance you get, drink a lot of water, and nap when you can. Remember to stretch before you get up!
9. Live in the present moment. Our girls don’t ever seem to worry about the future or dwell on the past. They’re just focused on now.
10. It’s the little things in life that mean the most. Walk for the sake of walking – it’s amazing what you see when you slow down to check everything out.
11. Be kind. Sit quietly next to someone whose having a bad day so they know you care.
12. Don’t hold grudges. Shake it off…literally.
13. Protect your territory. You don’t have to be aggressive but let them know there are boundaries that have to be respected.
14. Don’t go anywhere without ID. Enough said.
15. Trust your instincts. Our girls never second guess themselves and they don’t talk themselves out of anything. Go with your gut.
We live in such a fast paced society now where everything is done faster, bigger and better than before. We can often become overwhelmed by it all. There is much to be learned from our 4 legged furry friends who have perfected slowing down, enjoying life and finding happiness in all that they do. Go on, look at the picture of the two of them passed out in the sun and tell me that’s not the good life!